Monday, September 3, 2012

SL's Most "Talented"

Well I'm back. The fact I am posting again is pretty damn amazing. Of course who would I be to wait too long to post something controversial, right? This entry will be in two parts. Part one will have to do with the title. Part two will continue with the saga of my SL life. Interesting right? Either way you can skip one part or both parts!

What do I mean by "talented?" Well lets see. Second Life gives us the opportunity to make our creative juices flow. We can assume all sorts of roles, we can also assume all sorts of titles. There are three titles that come to mind in which I will nitpick at. That is 1. Designers. 2. Photographers and 3. DJs. 

All three of these "titles" I will call them get all sorts of attention. To be one of them gives you a sense of pride (I would hope.) But as I spoke to a friend earlier, I shall quote that there are many that do these things for the wrong reasons. Could there be a wrong reason? In my mind; absolutely. Think about it. These kinds of jobs or positions or hobbies all have to do with some sort of creative input. A designer puts time in making their clothes or items. A photographer will spend countless hours in Photoshop. A DJ will spend days compiling and selecting the perfect music for their next set. Now here is where I have a problem with many of these people:

Get your heads out of your own fucking asses.

That's right. So many people are doing this for popularity over the enjoyment of doing it. How can you tell? They're the people who nearly scream in their profile of how awesome they are. They are the people who put down other people in their same field.  They're the people who think they're so goddamn perfect, no one else matters nor can anyone else surpass them. ...so, you got an ego huh? Let me bring some of you down a few notches shall I?

1. Designers:
Oh hey there. Make a new item of clothing? Does it look purty? Tell me, did you use a template? Or how about the textures? Did you personally Photoshop that or take it from Deviantart or Google? Is the idea original?  Did you give credit to the people who made that piece of clothing possible? Even just a little side note?  Did you just download a full-modded item and simply make a few changes? -- Ask yourself these questions and think twice before you have any right to judge someone else on their clothes or think you are the supreme designer. Many people "sell-out" and do it for a quick buck instead of taking time to make an actual piece of art. 

2. Photographers
Granted, there are a LOT of talented photographers. And rarely do I see one photographer put down another. In fact, some of the most talented photographers I know are humble and kind. Its actually the less talented that seem to get a chip on their shoulder. Excuse me? You charge WHAT? And the background you used? Who made it? Cause I can bet you, most of you did not make that yourself. Any credits to the DA artist? Did you actually Photoshop it instead of one of those quick stop online editors? No? Enough said.

3. DJs 
Of course I will be most critical here because this is what I am most familiar with. Yes, I am an SL "DJ", and I will use quotations because I am in the group of many "DJs" who well,  are not actually DJs. Let me be more specific. I see myself as an okay, if not decent DJ. I stick to my own style. I'm always playing fresh beats. I interact with the crowd and use voice. But lets face it, me and so many of these other so called "DJs" aren't even genuine. That's right, myself included. I'm willing to admit that. We rip off remixes real DJ's have done. We form a playlist. We input some voice and voila! At the end of the day, how much "talent" do we have? Even to this day I could never fully brag of my "DJ" prowess, especially when I been to clubs with real DJs who not only mix their own music, but do it live. They have real equipment, real table turners. So it makes me wonder why..oh WHY are there so many DJs, (especially in the gay community) who think they are God's gift to music? Are you serious? There are mini divas out there who think their shit don't stink because they believe their playlist is better than someone else. Yeah? I've seen middle-school kids bitch over the same thing as they compare their Ipods on the school yard. I just love how some of you even charge for your mad "DJing" services.

Again, I am not angry at the fact this is how it is. So we use materials from others. I get it. It's just bothersome the power trip people get. Suddenly they feel like they are such good talent and it is okay to stomp on everyone else. Well sweet-cheeks, look around. I can guarantee some of the most humblest of designers, photographers and DJ's are some of the best. They don't need to brag. They're happy with what they do and that should be enough. 

So before you look down on someone else in your field or brag of your superiority, I will ask you to think twice about what you really offer. Perhaps our SL may be a little more pleasant. 

----------------------------------------------------------

Now continuing with my SL saga. I'd say after a few months of being promiscuous and over all shameful, I decided it was time to join a family That is where I met the infamous..C. Yes we will call him C. I met him at Tristar (go figure). He was a part of a Bloodlines Clan. It was not long before I was whisked into a world of vampires, slaves and overall large dose of  WTF. It was led by a very eccentric and benevolent King who is still my very good friend. Sadly he is not around as often and only signs in to check on things. 

The main focus was C though. He became everything to me. My maker, my mentor and consequently someone I would do everything for. In time our wonderful King stepped down, giving throne to C himself to create a new clan. Of course I was behind him 100%, even though I was shamefully diddling him behind his lover's back, with the promise he will leave him for me. (I know I was horrible and naive.) Let's just say that did not happen, as I would soon learn he needed his dear hubby for the funds, as he would for the next line of lucky men. 

It goes without saying, he was the first step in my path to become the jerk I am today. At that time, I never thought that he could possibly be too good to be true. And in time I would learn how dark and twisted people can be on here.

Of course that is for another entry. See you next time.

- Yu

No comments:

Post a Comment